Monday, March 9, 2009

Pow Wow

This photo has been around for a while. I've always struggled with how to present it. I was in Arizona a couple of years ago during the Christmas holidays, and we went to a Pow Wow in Tucson on New Year's Eve - during the day. Like most Arizona days, the sky was cloudless bright blue, and while I liked the overal face and capture here, I always thought the blue sky made it feel like more of a snap shot. Since I'm doing an upcoming tutorial for the Bay Area Photo Club on textures and edges, I've been experimenting with various techniques for blending layers and masking. Please feel free to comment, especially on the texture - does it help or is it a distraction?

4 comments:

  1. Nice job of masking and blending Steve!

    I think you would definitely have to consider the texture an improvement over a nondescript sky!

    Well done!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lighting on his face is outstanding. I agree with Barry, you did a nice job on the background--it now adds to the photo. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this texture - it turns it into a unique pic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to say for sure, without seeing the original, but it looks to me like you took it from a snapshot to a studio shot. Good work.

    ReplyDelete