Monday, November 23, 2009

Bonaventure Cemetery

This photo was taken in Bonaventure Cemetery in Savannah. I was heading to Tybee Island that afternoon and didn't have a lot of time to spend there, but there were some amazing trees, headstones and Spanish Moss there. This one was shot as I walked from one section of the cemetery to another. I added the sepia tone and vignetting with Nik Silver Efex and did a little touch up work on the road down the center. But even after the touch ups, there are a fair amount of shadows and high contrast areas along the path. I'd be interested in getting comments about that -- would it be worth the time to "clean up" the path? Nikon D200 at 85mm 1/100 sec at f/6.3.

5 comments:

  1. I'm not going to be much help on this one. I can see what you are talking about, but I like it the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this kind of symmetrical landscape with old trees and this is really nice. If it was mine I would probably try to even out the patchy light at the bottom...I may not like it enough to keep it that way but I am thinking it would make the shot less complicated and would keep the viewer's attention up in the complex pattern of the branches and hanging moss. Did you not like the color version? It is great in black and white, I was just wondering. Also, I cannot see much of a sepia tint. In any case, it is wonderful and will look great on the gallery wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great classic shot Steve. This shot looks to me like it would be hard to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only have one problem.....I can't step into the picture and get a closer look. I like what you have done.
    David A.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is classic spookiness in black and white.

    This can't be far from the scene of "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil."

    ReplyDelete