Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Slotted Spoon

For some time now I've been thinking of a new photographic series. I take these on every now and then -- sometimes they work out, most often not. I tend to try and learn something along the way ... pick a concept, figure out a unique approach to it, then take a weakness of mine and apply it in the mix. This time it's selective lighting -- something I really want to learn more about and experiment with. My floral macro series was all about large volumes of light and shape and form. This one will be about selective light, colored light, still abstracting though. The photo above is a common kitchen slotted spoon -- blue gelled light from below shooting through the slots, a piece of foam core above reflecting the light passing through back down on the stainless steel. Final specs were: 1/180 sec at f/22, ISO 200, 85mm. Not sure how this project will turn out, but on a rainy day it's been a fun exercise. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment