Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Deadhorse HDR

More than one person has made a comment about the stream photo I posted earlier in the week. They were surprised that with all the grand landscapes I saw and photographed that was the first I chose to post -- I guess it was a purely random choice. As a photographer you like to get into those small intimate shots before you tackle the big vistas. And as I look over my photos from this trip, I realize how easy it is to get caught up shooting static landscapes without much flow and thought to the composition. I tried to break myself of that with the photo above. It's from Deadhorse Point -- a Utah state park, very close to Canyonlands National Park in Moab. This one stood out to me because I think there are some interesting compositional elements and flow through the image -- the twisted tree, arcing stone wall, canyon plateaus and walls, and the La Sal Mountains on the horizon. Five bracketed images merged together with Photomatix Pro, base exposure shot at f/11, 1/320 sec at 22mm; a few tweaks and some sharpening added in Photoshop.

4 comments:

  1. I've been to Dead Horse State Park. This is one of the better shots I've seen from here. Not the typical viewpoint others have taken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is so much depth to this image. My eye starts at the twisted tree in the foreground and goes all the way back and up to those great clouds. And the rock in the foreground is lighter in color while the area farther away is darker, which I think adds to the depth. The diagonal edge that separates them is great too. It looks very inhospitable, no wonder the poor horse died.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really fine photo from one of my favorite places in the world. Great use of foreground, middle ground and background to lead the eye through the image.

    ReplyDelete