Saturday, May 30, 2009

Air Force Memorial

Today's image is from my recent trip to DC -- it's the Air Force Memorial near the Pentagon. I've been to DC a number of times over the past 10 years, and I never remember seeing this memorial, but it's one of the most striking in the area. It's made up of three arcs ascending into the sky at different heights and angles. I'll post a full shot of that one day; this image is just one of the arcs. It reminds me of the Gateway Arch in St. Louis because it's made of gleaming stainless steel. It's up on a hill about a mile from the Pentagon Metro stop, so it was a little bit of a hike. But I'm glad I went there. I read that it's designed after the famous jet trails of the Air Force Thunderbirds. Anyway, if you're ever in DC, it's worth a visit. There's a nice view down to the Washington Monument and the Mall there too.
Black and white conversion was done with Nik Silver Efex.

7 comments:

  1. This is my kind of image. Great shot! And the choice of B&W is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very COOL shot! And you actually got that sky in the original image??? THat is not a Steve Schuenke sky??? Black and white is perfect for it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the original sky - not added in post. The whole time we were in DC we had rain and clouds, which made for some great skies, and with a little push with Lucis and/or HDR - great backgrounds for photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only say "what an awesome shot!" This has to be one of my all time favorites that you have ever posted.

    The B&W treatment was definitely the right path to take. It just sends it over the top.

    Great job.

    DHaass

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me see: good subject, great perspective and wonderful post processing. I guess that's all you need to make a GREAT image.

    Really fine work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate it! Just kidding - it's great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely stunning. Need I say more?

    ReplyDelete