Monday, January 26, 2009

Demacks

Before the days of Walmart and Target, there were corner grocery stores, where people would make daily stops to get fresh produce. I saw a photographic body of work a while ago where the photographer documented the current state of these buildings of a bygone era. Shot in black and white with minimal postprocessing, these images portrayed how life has changed in the past 50 or 60 years. Instead of neighborhood corner grocery stores, we now have big box chains strategically placed every 10-15 miles along interstate highways. The photo above is one of these corner stores from a bygone era - it's called Demacks Produce and is located on the corner of 19th and Strand in Galveston. Obviously it's seen better days. I can remember when it was an active produce distributor, but it's since fallen on pretty hard times, and after Ike, well, it hasn't been touched since September.

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic!

    I really like the soft colors and overall softness of the image. I have no idea how you did this one, but would like to learn.

    This is a shot that I would hang in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome shot Steve. Larry said it, the colors really make this image. If you looked at it long enough it would be easy to just fade back into another day and time.

    DHaass

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this image. I also like the story of this building. I hate to see gems such as this sitting idol.

    Think of the fresh produce stand, the people moving in and out. I can hear it and I can smell the very familiar smell of the market.

    Only a fantastic image can bring about those emotions and senses in a viewer.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate it! I've taken several handfull's of shots of this same building and none of them have come out nearly this good. Must be the camera! :)

    ReplyDelete